Monday, May 29, 2006

Which tech alliance wins?

Google & Dell, or Yahoo! and eBay, which alliance wins? Obviously time will tell and I am just speculating, but I would put my money on Yahoo! and eBay.

(Side note on my anti-Dell bias: I do not have personal experience with a working, successful Dell device. Yes, I've had mutliple Dell devices (computers, mp3, etc.) and worked with other poor Dell users whom I've had to help "de crappify" their machines. SiliconValley.com had a good post on that not too long ago, but I can't find it now. I personally plan to never purchase another Dell product again.)

But in spite my bias, I can't see that the Google-Dell alliance is all that exciting. Google already has the lead in search, without having to do a "deal" to get them onto more poor Dell users' desktops. Google does not have a busy, advertising-full webpage, and Dell has not had that. So each must branch out into new alliances to create a useful, full-fledged website. While many love the simplicity of the Google webpage (yes, I'm one), it's not exactly welcoming for new users who don't know what they want to search for yet.

Thus, chalk one up for Yahoo! and eBay, in my book. These are users who may not have come together in another way. Their models are generally complementary. I have never used eBay, but I'm a big Yahoo! messenger fan. (Google has a long way to come in my book in that area.) But perhaps Google's software on a Dell would *blow me away*. My guess is I'll never see it, unless Dell wants to share a free one with me. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home